Monday 20 July 2009

Pub news.

As you are probably aware, Sunday night is poker night in the Merrie Monk. After a busy lunchtime, it is a good opportunity for Jez and Di, our ever so lovely soaker landlady to relax and enjoy a pleasant game of cards.

However, things don't always work out as planned.

I turned up today and asked Di, our ever so lovely soaker landlady how last night went, and who had won. "I don't remember", came the reply. My eyes lit up! Blog fodder!

There were 32 players last night and Di, the more she moved around the tables kept losing her wine. Charlie, the super barmaid kept finding them and returning them to Di, by which time she'd got another bottle! So, we have a stash of half-empty wine bottles on the shelf under the table, out of sight of the customers. Until one of them put his feet up and knocked them over! Fortunately they are screw top, so nothing was spilt!

"Bloody hell, Di, you're storing them"!, said the culprit. "I keep losing them.",replied Di.

A little further into the wine night, Di was talking to one of the customers. She asked why his girlfriend wasn't here. "She's working", he said. "Where did you meet her?", asked Di. "Lanzarote", he said. (by this time the stash of wine had gone.) "She's Greek then?", said Di.

Di had a migraine this morning! Myself and Jez and the other locals have another name for it!

CHEERS!

16 comments:

Pat said...

Lanzarote - one of the less lovely Greek islands:)
Poor Di she can't win.

Unknown said...

Mum2, it's the wine!

wendishness said...

*cough*

Hmmm...can't think of anything to say without laughing my head off!

*ducks and runs*

MysticFirefly said...

oooops.....someone didn't pay attention in Geography class.....:-D

Unknown said...

Wendy, I should be safe, SHE told me all this!

Unknown said...

Chris, I think the wine had a role in the matter!

Kila said...

LOL! You're gonna get in trouble with Di! ;)

No wonder the place is so Merrie!

Unknown said...

Kila, It's a great pub!

thepinkdog said...

LOL! She's hilarious and we need her for your Blog. I say keep the drinks coming!

Unknown said...

Caroline, Di and Jez are the best thing that has happened to this pub in years!

Karmyn R said...

WHAT?! A California Red? Where's the Oregon Pinot? Huh? huh? huh?

Unknown said...

Hiya, Karmyn! I just pinched it off the 'net!

Beccy said...

I see nothing has changed here John!

Keith said...

Oh, poor Di. She must suffer terribly with all those migraines. Surely there is something we can do to help relieve her suffering.

I cant bear to see her suffer so. Her lovely face contorted with the pain, and having to put up with the likes of you, must be very draining for her.

Can no-one suggest how she can get rid of all those migraines?

Wendy Ascham said...

Keith> Dad, you don't give me any sympathy when I get a migraine after a night out with the girls.

You just tell me to lay off the booze and go stick my head under the cold tap!

Try telling Di she's just a soaker, to leave off the booze, and go shove her head under the tap, then we'll see just how popular you are!

John> Tell me what happens when he calls her a pis... drunk!

Unknown said...

Wendy, nothing, your fawning Dad and Di have this mutual appreciation society to wind me up! But it doesn't work!