Sunday 22 February 2009

A quiz for you.

I had this sent to me today! See how you do.

This is a quiz for people who know everything! I found out in a hurry that I didn't. These are not trick questions. They are straight questions with straight answers:

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters 'dw' and they are all common words. Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least
half of them?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter 'S.'

Answers tomorrow.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't suppose you will allow 'sausages' for number nine, John?

Unknown said...

Blazing! DOH!

ChrisB said...

I'll ponder and come back -just been asking embee and he's no help at all hmm!

Unknown said...

Chris, they aren't that hard!

D.D. said...

Only know ...

#6 Dwarf & Dwindle

#7 comma, full stop, apostrophe, semicolon, colon, exclamation mark, question mark

#9 socks, shoes, stockings, skates, sandals, slippers, sports-shoes :p

The rest dunno and i dun wanna Google them :p

Unknown said...

Hello, Donna, welcome! Good try.

Anonymous said...

#1 - Chess

#2 - ? no idea

#3 - Artichoke and

#4 - Strawberry

#5 - they put the bottles over small pears while they were still on the tree.

#6 - Dwell, dwindle, and dwelt?

#7 - comma, period, question mark, exclamation point, hyphen, semi-colon, apostrophe, (I think that is half)

#8 Avocado

#9 socks, sandals, shoes, slippers, skates, skis,


whew - I think I did it - except for a couple. And this was without googling, thank you!

Z said...

1 Boxing
2 Um - no idea at present
3 Globe artichoke and I'm giving someone else a chance at the other one
4 Strawberry
5 Put the pear in when it's small and let it grow into the bottle, I suppose
6 I was going to say dwile, but then I'm from East Angular
7 quotation marks, I'll add
8 cucumber? Though I suppose gherkins are a sort of cucumber. Hmm
9 Yes. What Donna said

Anonymous said...

1. DH's guess is tournament fishing.

2. DH's guess is Mt. Rushmore

3. Squash and cucumbers?

4. Strawberry

5. It grew there?

6. Dwelling, dwarf, dwindle

7. . , ? ; : ' " - !

8. Watermelon

9. socks, slippers, shoes, snowshoes, skates, skis, stockings, sole, soil, slush, snow, shit (the dog's)

Anonymous said...

I just goggled my other perennial vegetable and am ashamed that I didn't know it - considering it is out there growing in my garden. DANG!

Unknown said...

Very good try ladies! But keep thinking!

Z said...

3 - well, there's cardoon but not many people eat it. It looks like an artichoke but I think you eat the stem. Never tried it although I've grown it decoratively. Then there's rhubarb, which is a vegetable eaten as fruit. Peppers are perennial, but not in this country - actually, runner beans can overwinter if you're lucky.

*cough* how about asparagus? I feel very silly.

Unknown said...

Z, BINGO!

Beccy said...

I think I've come over a bit late!

Unknown said...

Beccy, have a go, nobody's got them all!

Mr Farty said...

Here are the votes from the Scotch jury:

1. Bullfighting

2. Niagra Falls - erosion

3. Carrots & Onions

4. Strawberry

5. Grown there - bottle placed under branch

6. Dwarf, Dwindle.

7. Exclamation mark, question mark, colon, semicolon, comma, full stop, hyphen.

8. Would grape count? The dried form isn't called grape.

9. Shoes, socks, slippers, sausages, skates, skis.

I am so rubbish at this.

Unknown said...

Not bad Mr. Farty! Not good either!

Z said...

8 - how about lettuce.

Unknown said...

Z, tick!

Z said...

I cannot tell a lie - the Sage came up with that!

Rog said...

I sat and worked out all the answers last night and clicked "publish" only to find the connection had gone down. I can only remember asparagus this morning.

#Debi said...

Looks like everyone's already said the ones that I knew...

ChrisB said...

1= wrestling

2=not sure but when I visited Niagara I seem to recall being told something about erosion?

3=artichokes, asparagus

4=strawberries

5=Not sure but I guess it's grown in the bottle

6=dwell, dwarf, dwindle-I'm sure there are more

7= comma, quotes ", colon: , semicolon; , question mark,? apostrophe ', exclamation! hyphen-, full stop. Brackets (), ......(forget what it's called ) for missing words

8= Cabbage?

9=slipper, sock ,sandal, sand shoe, shoes, skin, skates, stilts.

I know I'm late commenting but I did email my answers to John to prove I didn't look.

Unknown said...

You can tell!!! xxx