Monday 2 July 2007

Letter.

I had a letter today from the spinal injuries hospital in Sheffield, where I underwent my re-hab. It is a superb facility, clean, efficient, and full of dedicated staff. The consultant who looked after me wants to see me for a check-up. I haven't been back for three years because there is nothing wrong with me, and Dad is now 78, and it's too much of a round trip for him to drive. So I rang them up and said that I wouldn't be attending because I didn't want to put Dad through the return trip.
They said they would lay on an ambulance from Leicester to take me there and bring me back! Good use of NHS funds? I told them I was still ok, and to give my appointment to someone who needs it.

If they ring back I shall sign myself off.

10 comments:

zoe said...

you are a very brave and good man.

we SHALL meet, one day, - although that may upset you more than anything!

Pat said...

John it's great to know you feel good. I was a couple of years older when I gave up the weed and I reckon it was just in time. It is such a wise thing to do. Your Dad is lucky to have such a thoughtful son.xoxox

Anonymous said...

Wow - that is some dedication to their patients, huh?

Anonymous said...

That says a lot for NHS care but even more for your thoughtfulness and unselfishness.
Glad to know you are feeling fine but please don't sign yourself off. If they contact you again you can still say no thanks.

headless chicken said...

I agree with Sablonneuse..very noble of you John but don't sign yourself off:/

Unknown said...

Thanks all, but I keep getting pestered. I'm old school, If I feel ok, then I am.

Zoe, we'd better meet!!

Beccy said...

I think I'm old school as well, that may be something to do with the exoborantss medical charges here!

Drama Queen said...

Don't ignore your health mate. . .We need you to look after yourself. And if you are meeting up with Zoe its only fair that you pop round to mine too. . .bring some tetley!!

Unknown said...

Beccy, it's free, but there's nothing wrong with me, so why waste their time? Are they TRYING to find something wrong?

DQ, awwh, THANKS, but I was rather hoping Zoe was coming to see me!

sallywrites said...

I think you should go. You may be fine now, but they want to see you and it's good to keep being checked....